Population data of this area date back to the earlier stone age, whose beginnings date from about 150,000 years BC. Archeological sites from that time are located on low hills along the river. Such a settlement is Brdašce located on today's Banj hill in the center of Laktaši. Archaeological remains from the young stone age, copper, bronze and iron age, which are characterized by the organization of larger ethno-cultural tribal communities, have been found.
The Romans put these places under their power in the 9th year of our era. Today's area of Laktaši was located on the border of two provinces: Dalmatia and Pannonia. The local Illyrian population lived in fortified cities ("Gradina" in Susnjari). After occupying these parts, the Romans raise military camps and build structures of economic significance.
In the middle ages, the Laktaši region is experiencing a difficult and uncertain fate then. The reign of the Eastern Goths, Avars and Slavs is continually replaced, and at the beginning of the 12th century this area became part of the Kingdom of Hungary.
At the beginning of the 16th century, this place was conquered by the Turks and ruled for 350 years, which led to large displacements of the population. For Turkey, this area is very important as the border part towards Austria, and therefore the Turks are forcibly displacing the Serb population from the mountain parts of eastern Herzegovina, Montenegro and Lika to the area of Lijevce field and Potkozarje.
Since 1878 Bosnia and Herzegovina has been part of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. In order to crush the homogeneous Serbian territory after 1883, Italians, Germans, Ukrainians and Poles settled in the area of Lijevce field and Potkozarje. The German and Italian population, using modern agrotechnical measures, quickly brought economic development to a higher level so this area became one of the most developed parts of Bosnia and Herzegovina. One of the strongest trade-craft centers was today’s Aleksandrovac, which in 1889 received a post office, and there was also a plant for production of the famous cheese from the Trapist monastery.
The disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy in 1918 and the entry into the composition of the Kingdom of SHS, or later the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, during and after the Second World War, the area of the municipality was in an extremely difficult position. Taking into account the level of economic development in the former SFRJ, this municipality is among the underdeveloped and ranked 87th among 109 municipalities in BiH. The second half of the eighties was the beginning of the so-called “Laktaškog privrednog čuda”. This municipality draws attention to large investments, which open the door to private entrepreneurship. This trend has been kept to this day.
In addition to a favorable geo-strategic position, Laktasi can boast of enormous natural wealth. The mild and pleasant climate, fertile soil, forests, rich hydrographic network are just some of the reasons why Laktasi had been settled in prehistoric times. However, what made Laktasi become widely known are thermo-mineral sources. Out of a total of nine spas in the Republic of Srpska, there are two in Laktaši, Spa Laktaši and Spa Slatina, known for its miraculous healing and beneficial effects on human organism.