The district Laktaši has a population of about 40.000 in the average of 104 per square kilometre. The Serbs are the most numerous, then the Croats and the Bosniacs, and there are people of different nationalities who became the settlers of these areas during Austro-Hungarian reign. A quarter of the subject population belongs to young people, up to 20 years of age, and 60 % are fit for work.:
Past decades on these areas had different effects on certain factors of development. This particularly refers to the total number of inhabitants on the areas of the district Laktaši, which has increased for about 35%. More precise data about present number and structure of the population are not available because the last statistics dated from the 1991 census. On the census of 1953 the district Laktaši, within the borders and settlements which belonged to the district, population was 8.239. Within actual borders, with the settlements and counties that belonged to other districts, according to the same statistics, total number of inhabitants was 25.516. Within these borders, the district has been functioning since 1955, when it was established.
Stagnation period of the population was from 1961 to 1971. and then, there was a slight increase at the census in 1981 and 1991. The rapid increase was influenced by war happenings, so in 2006, at an estimate, the district had 40.743 inhabitants, which makes about 35% more than from the last census in 1991 (29.832 inhabitants).
Population density of the district is above the average of RS and BandH, and was increased from 77 inhabitants/km2 in 1991 to 104 inhabitants/km2 in 2005.
National structure of the population
Complexity of the national structure of the population in the district Laktaši is the result of historical and political happenings in the past, migration movements and interweaving various cultural influences. The area which covers the district Laktaši today, was mostly settled by the Serbs until Austrian-Hungarian occupation in 1878. As for the present population in the district, the aforementioned population represents the inhabitants originated from Herzegovina and Montenegro.
Apart from mainly Serbian population, the district has been inhabited by people of different ethnic minority groups, who settled here in various time phases.
The first inhabitants settled here were the Germans who settled in the area of Aleksandrovac in 1880 and in the area Topola in 1879. In the area of villages Maglajani, Krnete, Kobatovci, Mahovljani and Aleksandrovac there were 130 German households with about 600 members. German population moved in 1944 when the German army withdrew.
The Italians settled here in 1883, mostly from Tyrol. In 1939 some of the settlers left the villages Mahovljani and Riječani, where they had lived before, and only some of the families have remained to live here.
When the western parts of Slovenia (Beneška Slovenia) and Istria were occupied by the Italian authorities, many families decided to leave. During the period of 1925-1927 they settled in Trn, Jablan amd most of them settled in Slatina.
There were about 40 households with about 200 family members in Slatina. They had their church, Parish office and cultural club. Nowadays there are only a few Slovenian families.
The possessions which were left by the Italians in 1939 (in Mahovljani and Riječani) were bought up by "Seljačka sloga" (Peasant unity) for the Croats from the surroundings of Bugojno, Gornji Vakuf, Prozor and Kupres.
After the Second World War the Muslims from Mrkonjić grad settled in Mahovljani on the possessions of the Germans who left in 1944. Nowadays there are only a few families; they got a mosque for the first time in 2001.
They are Romany people who came from Karavlaška, a part in Romania, and mostly settled in Slatina, Glamočani, Klašnice, Šeškovci. Nowadays there are only few families in a small village Lički potok, at the foot of Crni vrh (Black peak).
The Polish and the Ukrainians
The Polish and the Ukrainians came in 1886 mostly from Galicia and Bukovina. and settled in Bakinci, Riječani and Aleksići; the biggest colony was in Gumjera, until a collective leave of the Polish in 1946.