Data about settlements in this area dated from the Old Stone Age, which beginnings reach to about 150.000 years B.C. Archaeological finds from that time are located on small hills near rivers. The settlement of this kind is Brdašce, located on today Banjsko brdo in the centre of Laktaši. There are also some findings from the New Stone Age, the Copper Age, the Bronze Age and the Iron Age, which characterize the organization of bigger ethno-cultural tribal communities.
The Romans reigned in these areas in the 9th year AD. The region of today Laktaši was at the very border of two provinces: Dalmatia and Pannonia. Local Illyrian population lived within fortified castles. ("Gradina" in Šušnjari). After the invasion, the Romans established military camps and built buildings important for the economy of that time.
In the Middle Ages the region Laktaši went through very hard and uncertain destiny. Various rules changed: East Goths, the Avars and the Slavs, and at the beginning of the 12th century the region became the part of the kingdom of Hungary.
At the beginning of the 16th century the Turks invaded the region and remained there for 350 years, which brought about significant moving of the population. This area was very important for the Turks, as it was a borderland towards Austria. Therefore, they violently moved Serbian population from mountainous parts of Eastern Herzegovina, Montenegro and Lika to the area of Lijevče polje and Potkozarje.
From 1878 Bosnia and Herzegovina became the part of Austro-Hungarian monarchy. In order to destroy homogeneous Serbian space, after 1883 the Italians, Germans, Ukrainians and Polish started settling in the area of Lijevče polje and Potkozarje. German and Italian population started applying modern agrotechnical measures, and very soon the economy got a higher level, and the whole area became the most developed part in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
One of the most important trade and production centres of that time was Aleksandrovac which got post office in 1889. The plant for the production of famous cheese from monastery Trapisti was also located there.
After the collapse of Austro-Hungarian monarchy in 1918, and after becoming a constituent part of the Kingdom of SHS (Serbs,Croats,Slovenians), later the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, during the Second World War and later, the district suffered really bad conditions. Considering the level of economic development in former SFRJ, this area belonged to undeveloped regions and took the 87th place on the list among 109 districts in BandH.
The second half of the 80s represents the beginning of so-called "economic miracle of Laktaši." Important economic investments started, leaving wide-open door to private investing. This trend has continued so far.